BELLUS CRUCIATUS , GAUISUS SACRIFICUM

Thursday, April 14, 2011

IBJJF DALLAS (Part 2): Voices

By: Dominic BEASTMODE Brisbin
"Skip it today, bro! One workout wont make a difference. I'm sure all of the other guys that are competing aren't training as hard as you are...". These are the voices I hear when I wake up. The asshole whispering this shit in my ear is myself. Beast Mode doesn't wanna' hear Dom's shit today. "C'mon bro, your girl just left you and your ankle looks fucked up!  Just go pick up some beer and enjoy your weekend"....Dom is relentless when it comes to the temptation of relaxing. Beast Mode does not share his affinity for enjoying "the good life". I gotta' block him out and get on the mat. Block out the fact that I just got dumped by my girlfriend and all of the pain that comes along with that. Block out the  fact that my ankle looks like a softball and feels like it's as strong as a toothpick. Dom isn't in control anymore, all that's left is BEAST MODE.
I have to believe that my enemies are training harder, that their technique is superior to mine, and that they want it more than I do. These things along with all of the voices propel me to keep training. I love it though, this pain that drives me to keep pushing through the sprints. That loneliness that plagues my soul also drives me to do those extra sets of kettlebell swings. Now, don't get me wrong....I'd like nothing more than to have my girlfriend back ( I mean c'mon, she's fucking beautiful!).And a healed ankle sure would make training a lot smoother. But for now, I thrive on all of the bullshit. With all of this shit goin' on just in the first week of training, I feel as though I have enough motivation to last me until the tournament.
These are the times where you earn the gold medal, gentleman (and ladies). If we float through the competition would the victory mean as much? I think not. Those voices you hear, preaching words of laziness and negativity...block them out. Use what you can, be it joy or pain. With week 2 of training halfway through, I'm as amped as ever to step onto the mat and leave Dallas as the victor. But for now, it's back to training, back to the workouts, back to blocking out the voices...

2 comments:

  1. Dom,
    Very inspirational. You're absolutely right. Our greatest opposition comes from our very selves. I'm working on some stuff too, fighting against those inner voices telling me to take a break. Love you bro... excuse me while I GO DO WORK! I know you will be too....
    damien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, cousin. I hope you are able to work out your stuff as well. Love you, bro!

    ReplyDelete